Preble County District Library
Obtaining a Library Card:
“RESIDENT”: Any person who is of kindergarten age, age 5 or older, or
can print their first name and who resides within the State of Ohio
is entitled to free library services and may apply for a borrower's
card in person at the library. For a list of library materials and
services please click here.
“NON-RESIDENT”: Residents of other states and countries may obtain
a library card by showing a photo ID and proof of home address. All
other policies and regulations are identical to those of a resident
borrower. Non-residents will be charged an annual fee of $20 for
A photo ID showing the birth date and a current utility bill as proof
of address are required. An exception will be made if the librarian can
validate for the patron. In the rare case a patron cannot produce a
utility bill, another current and official document may be used, such
as: checkbook with address, bank statement, etc. Thereafter, the card
issued in the patron's name should be presented when borrowing items
from the library.
First time borrowers are restricted to three items only. Patrons may
borrow a maximum of 50 items per card. Staff has the option
of overriding this limit for proven responsible patrons.
Each adult borrower is held responsible for all items charged out on
his or her card.
A parent’s or guardian’s signature is required for a minor (under 18
years old). The parent or guardian will be responsible for the
appropriateness of materials, including electronic information, and for
payment of charges incurred with the card. A legal guardian needs to be
present with a minor when signing up for minor's card. If the legal guardian
does not currently a library card, the legal guardian must present the same
requirements (photo I.D. showing birth date and current utility bill.) Foster
children will need the signature of their foster parent.
Persons abusing their library privileges will have their library card revoked.
Educator Cards are available for teachers and homeschooler teachers with
proof of educator status. An Educator Card extends the loan period to six weeks
with one renewal of three weeks. An Educator Card has a limit of
75 items per card. The Educator Card is to be used only for student
Loan Periods and Limits
The loan period is different for various library materials. Each material category
is also limited to the number of items checked out at one time.
- Books and Audiobooks
- Early Childhood Education kits
- ADHD Toys
- R-Rated DVDs
- Video Games
- Playaway Views
Most materials can be renewed up to three times in person, by phone,
or online. Materials cannot be renewed if the patron has fines exceeding
$5 or if another patron has requested it (placed it on hold).
Non-circulating items include: reference materials, microforms, Preble
County Room genealogy materials, and current issues of magazines.
Overdue fines are charged for each day open for business by the branch
from where the material was borrowed. Late fines are 10 cents per day
for overdue items except playaway views and video games, which are $1
per day. Late fines are not to exceed $5. Bounced checks will incur a
charge of $10 per item This fee cannot be waived.
Lost or unreturned material
Lost or unreturned materials will be charged for the actual
cost of that material. Cost of other types of damages are listed below.
When payment has not been made for unreturned items for over a month,
a collection agency will recover the cost for the library. Even if the
material is recovered, there is a collection fee charged for the work
of the collection agency. Collection fees cannot be waived.
Recovering Lost Items
When a patron has lost an item and
returns it undamaged within one year, the library can refund the
patron the cost of the item if the patron paid for it. When a patron
returns the item after one year, the patron will not be refunded. Any
other existing fees on the account will be deducted from the amount
due before patron will be reimbursed. Amounts to be reimbursed under
$10 will be reimbursed by the branch library. Amounts of $10
or more will be reimbursed by check and mailed to the address on the
- Current staff and Board of Trustees
- Developmentally disabled persons in group homes
- Veterans with proof of service
- Staff members who have worked continuously for 30 years or more
- A replacement card costs $1.
- Sending and receiving fax charges are $1 per page, $5 per page if out of the U.S.
- All one-sided prints are 15 cents per sheet (B & W, color, scanned, microfilm, etc.)
- 50 cents per foot available at the Eaton Library and Administrative Office
- Cold Laminator: $2 per foot available at the Eaton Library
- Thumb drives cost is $7 each.
- Ear Buds and headphones cost $1 each.
- Ellison Dye Cutting is $3 per use. Patrons must supply their own paper.
- Lost or Damaged Materials charges reflect the purchase price of the item.
- Barcode damaged or missing charge is $1.
- Case damaged or missing charge is $2.
- No charge for “damaged” CDs or DVDs that have been used over 50 times.
Replacement costs for any cables or equipment attachments will reflect
current costs as determined by the Systems Librarian or Director.
Library Provided Services and Materials
- Books: (audiobooks, braille books, graphic novels, comics)
- DVDs, CDs, magazines, playaways for children, videogames
- E-books (fiction/nonfiction and audio on some devices) via the Ohio Digital Library
- E-books (database) via our Reference Databases
- Professional research services
- Basic computer instruction, individual and group
- ADHD toys
- Videophone, programs, and materials for the Deaf and hard of hearing
- Materials for the blind (books and descriptive movies)
- Reader for blind/visually impaired
- Materials from other libraries
- Business Brown Bag Series (special speakers for small businesses)
- Non-profit Brown Bag Series
- Delivery and programming for homebound patrons and area nursing homes
- Programming for all age groups
- Meeting Rooms for non-profit organizations (Administration Building, Eldorado, and West Alexandria)
- Fax, scanning, laminating, Ellison Dies
- Educator Cards
- In-house laptop use (Eaton Library)
- E-mail newsletter
- Preble County teens literature and art magazine