Preble County District Library
Loan Periods and Limits for Materials
A photo I.D. with birthdate and a current utility bill with the current address is required to receive a library card. Parents are held responsible for minors under the age of 18 years. Patrons are limited to 50 items/card. New card holders are limited to 3 items for their first borrowed items. Educator Cards are available for Teachers and Homeschoolers only with proof of educator status.
Materials that check out for three weeks (21 days) are:
- Magazines (unless they are current issues in some branches)
- Puppets, puzzles, toys
Materials that check out for one week (7 days) are:
42 calendar day circulating
- Any monograph or audio material used in
the classroom or through outreach and borrowed on an
educators or outreach card.
- Reference materials
- Historical reference
- Current issues of
magazines (depending on which branch)
Checkout Limits of Item Types
Prosecution of patrons with a Felony Level Theft ($1000) will now take place.
- Play Away 5
- Play Away View 5
- Books 50
- Audio Books 50
- Games 2
- Magazines 50
- DVDs 7
- DVDs Rated R 7
- CDs 50
If you want to keep an item longer it can be renewed.
- Materials can be renewed three times by phone or online.
Only the following materials cannot be renewed:
- If someone else has requested it (on hold)
- Holiday materials
Fines: Charges are levied for each
day open for business by the branch from where the
material was borrowed.
- Fines are 10 cents/day on each material item.
- A patron that has $5.00 or more fines on their card will not be able
to check out more materials until the fines are paid.
- When a child reaches the age of 18, past fines
on their card are removed and placed on their care-giver's card. They may begin as an adult with no fines.
- Bounced checks cost the library $10.00/item. This fine cannot be waived.
- Lost or unreturned materials will be charged for the cost of that material. When
payment has not been made for unreturned items for over a month, a collection agency will recover the cost for the library.
Even if the material is recovered there is a charge for the work of the collection agency. This fine cannot be waived.
- Fines for current
staff and members of the Board of Trustees are
- When a patron has lost an item and returns it undamaged within one year, the library can refund the patron for the cost of the item. When a patron returns the item after one year, the patron will not be refunded.
- Fines are waived for educators
using the materials in the classroom .
- Fines will be collected to repair